Monday, March 8, 2010

End of week nine with a huge deficit / Langkawi and Spring Classics

"Am I doing enough?"

With all the adverse weather we've had (and might still have), my training has been a little inconsistent. There was a mix of unfavourable working hours as well, which does drain a bit of energy making the simple act of getting on the bike and riding a little difficult at times.

However, I finished the week on Sunday with a nice ride before heading to work. Sandra and I got up fairly early but somehow managed to leave home late to meet the bunch at Zupps. I didn't mind as we don't get to ride together often. Because of all the different training schedules and my weekend work, it is rare that we head out for an easy spin and coffee.





We rode together for almost one hour when Sandra realised the pace was a little hard for her scheduled training and the ride was going to be too long if she followed me. I had my training plan and needed to stick to it to be able to get home, have brunch and head off to work so after reluctantly saying "See you at home!", I put my head down and went to complete my much-loved Zupps loop alone, again.

So, before my Season starts, I better put in more time on the bike and ride more often with Sandra.

Week Nine (Base): 
Time: 13 h 05 min
Dist.: 364 km

On another level, the world of professional cycling is in full swing. There are great events happening already leading to the European Classics. One of my favourites, Le Tour de Langkawi, finished yesterday with a great result for 32-year-old Stuart Shaw, from Australia, who won Stage 7.

One of the reasons I favour this event is the Genting Highlands climb. Considered one of the toughest climbs in the Pro circuit, mostly for the Feb/March intense heat and near-100 per cent humidity, this climb rises from sea level to 1700 m and features sweeping hairpins in dense jungle.


 



This year, the Genting climb stage did decide the general classification as Venezuela's 48 kg climber, Jose Rujano, reached the finish line with a two minutes plus lead. Australian Peter MacDonald finished fourth on the day.






As I wrote earlier, the Classics are here. We are about to see some great races and hopefully hear of great riders who focus on those hard events year after year.

Check Belgium Knee Warmers for a great read on the Spring Classics.

Have a great week!

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory